Royal Academy of Medicine – Spain
The Royal Academy of Medicine began its history in the first third of the eighteenth century in the midst of a gathering in the pharmacy of José Hortega, under the Enlightenment movement. In July 1733 it became a grouping of professionals, initially titled “Tertulia Médico-Chymica-Phisica” and later “Tertulia Médica Matritense”.
It received the royal sanction from Felipe V in September 18, 1734, following approval of its statutes, which became the Tertulia in Academia.
It was reorganized by Royal Decree of April 28, 1861, “to promote the progress of Spanish medicine, publish its story literature, forming the medical geography and a technological dictionary of medicine.”
It uses as emblem a shield that represents the allegory of Archimedes, which states that by using many small mirrors arranged in a dish and using the sun’s rays, set the Roman fleet on fire.
The academic medals bear a midwife allegory symbolizing medicine and the legend “Ars cum natura ad salutem conspirans”.
Today, the Royal Academy of Medicine holds public scientific sessions every Tuesday during the course, in which two scholars set scientific issues, takeover sessions, opening and closing of the course, special sessions, etc.
Regarding publications, the journal published quarterly RANM Annals, which includes the lectures delivered at scientific sessions, news bulletins, an activity newsletter and monographs, etc…
The tasks and current projects of the Royal Academy include: the Dictionary of Medical Terms, the announcement and awarding of prizes, computerization of its bibliography, etc.
It consists of fifty Academic Fellows and Honor Scholars, Corresponding National and Foreign Fees and Medals of Honor.
Calle Arrieta nº12
Tlf.: +34 91 547 03 18
Fax: +34 91 547 03 20